Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

Today marks the fifth Father’s Day without my dad. Daddy died five years ago this month: June 4, 2002. To think I’ve lived five years of my life without talking to him, hearing his voice, getting his advice is almost unreal to me.

Daddy and I were very close. I moved away from home (with my mom and sister) in California a month after high school graduation to go to acting school in New York. When that didn’t work out, I decided to move in with Daddy in Florida. I lived with Daddy for just about five years, just the two of us. I worked, went to school, dated, and eventually met my guy before moving out and moving on. Through all of it, Daddy was a constant in my life: encouraging, lecturing, supporting; worried, surprised, disappointed, excited.

Happy Father’s Day, Daddy, wherever you might be. I am who I am because of you.


P.S. If you are over 40, please consider getting a routine physical, complete with prostate exam and PSA (prostate-specific antigen) test. The people in your life will be grateful.

No comments: